Educational Talent Search
What is Educational Talent Search at Michigan State University?
Educational Talent Search ( ) identifies and assists individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds who have the potential to succeed in higher education.
What is the Purpose of E.T.S.?
The program provides academic, career and financial counseling to its participants and encourages them to graduate from high school and continue on to the postsecondary institution of their choice.
Who are the Targeted Students?
First generation, low income, middle and high school students or adults working on their G.E.D. in the Lansing School District.
What can E.T.S. provide?
Services can provide:
- Academic, financial career or personal counseling including advice on entry or reentry to secondary or postsecondary educational programs.
- Career exploration
- Tutorial services
- Information on postsecondary education
- Exposure to college campuses
- Information on student financial assistance
- Assistance in completing college admission and financial applications
- Assistance in preparing for college entrance exams
- Special activities for middle and high school students
- Workshops for families of participants
Who is Eligible for E.T.S.?
To be eligible, you must attend one of the following schools in the Lansing School District: Everett High School, Eastern High School, Sexton High School, Gardener Middle School, Middle School, Dwight Rich Magnet school or Otto Middle School and meet two of the three following requirements:
- Be eligible for free or reduced lunch
- Be the first person in your family to pursue a degree and graduate from a college or university
- Take an active interest in their own success